How to choose the appropriate apron for a particular task or occasion can be difficult because there are so many choices and customs.
With every type of apron available, either online or in kitchen stores, there are choices of everything from industrial, or cook-out aprons made of denim or leather to frilly party aprons made of organdy or lace. It is helpful to know what type of apron is customary for the occasion that requires an apron.
The following considerations are customary when choosing a heavy-duty apron for outdoor cooking, carpentry, welding, or other industrial use:
1. Aprons that will be subjected to sparks or flames must be made of flame-proof fabric, or treated with flame retardant.
2. Aprons used to carry heavy objects such as nails or tools must be made of heavy fabric, and have reinforced pockets.
3. Consider how much of the body the apron needs to cover. A short half apron is customary for a carpenter apron, while a full wrap around apron is better for wearers subjected to flames or sparks.
Household work aprons and light industrial or food service aprons may be made of lighter weight fabrics and are often decorative. Customary considerations made when selecting such aprons might include:
1. Choosing an apron sufficiently durable for its intended purpose.
2. Choosing an apron make of preshrunk, colorfast, wrinkle free fabric.
3. If the apron is for commercial use, make sure it can be embroidered or stamped with the company logo or slogan.
Decorative aprons, usually worn by cocktail servers, or for home parties must be pretty, yet functional. Such aprons might need to be sturdier than they appear. Consider the following:
1. If pockets are necessary, make certain they are constructed to carry such things as pad, pen, or money, as in the case of a cocktail server’s apron.
2. Party aprons should coordinate with the wearers dress or outfit in both color and fabric type.
The three customary purposes of aprons are to protect the clothing of the wearer, to provide packets, or to add a decorative touch. Choose an apron accordingly.